Admin Control Panel

New Post | Settings | Change Layout | Edit HTML | Moderate Comments | Sign Out

2009-08-31

Hermit Crab

My sister bought 2 Hermit Crabs recently. It cost S$75 including the tank. I was amazed by it!!

The Hermit Crab is a type of crab that doesn't have a very hard shell. It uses other animals' old shells for protection; they especially like old whelk shells. As the hermit crab grows in size, it must find a larger shell. It is their habit of living in a second hand shell that gave rise to the popular name "Hermit Crab".
There are about 500 different species of hermit crabs around the world. Most hermit crab species live on the ocean floor, but many live on land. Female terrestrial (land based) hermit crabs must return to the sea to breed.

I happened to witness how the crab molt (shed its skin). See bottom left hand corner of pic . That was the discarded skin & limb from the crab !!

Interesting pet to have at home if you're not afraid of sharp creepy crawlers.... hahaha :D

You can read more about Hermit Crab here.

JANICE NG © 2009


Thank you, my first commentator
Marzie

15 Hugs for Amos & Zac:

Mariuca said...

chop!

Mariuca said...

Wahhhh so cool la blue color shell??

Mariuca said...

I won have this as pet though cause I'm scared of creepy crawlies he he! :)

cre8tone said...

crabby! :)

wen said...

colorful shells but what if they have grown out of it?

Unknown said...

What an unusual pet to have.
By the way, I would like to invite you to join a giveaway at my site. It's a spelling software that I think your children can benefit from.
http://mamasbagoftricks.blogspot.com/2009/09/spellquizzer-review-and-giveaway.html

Kristin said...

Hi and first Congrat for that great great blog. You are done it wonderful:). About that unusual for me hobby but so interesting and fuuny. Wish you the best Janice and for your child too:))))!

dodong flores 도동 플로오리스 said...

Hi, Janice. I remember during my childhood days, a hermit crab was using a bottle as its shell. Maybe it was because it can't find anything to fit in. It was in a cow ranch and hardly you could find empty shell, so what more of the poor hermit crab...

Angeline said...

cool!
Witnessing is better than a stack of books!

Amel said...

VERY cute!!! I think my brother and I had some too back in the old days...he he he...:-D

2xMum said...

cool pet!!

eastcoastlife said...

rear crabs at home!? That's cool!

Nina said...

It's so sweet like you. Very interesting I never seen it before.

JonaBQ said...

thank you for the info about hermit crabs. i learned Teacher...=D
my son will love this but i wonder how long can it last in my sons hands...

épilation laser montréal vs lumière pulsée said...

I wish I was one of your kids,

I always wanted a pet hermit crab, they look so awesome I would bring them with me to work.

Have a good and miraculous day Jani ;) The Salon beaute montreal et Brossard

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape