Admin Control Panel

New Post | Settings | Change Layout | Edit HTML | Moderate Comments | Sign Out

2008-01-04

My cravings...

I was craving for roti prata & you tiao (click on links for explanation) recently. For the latter, I cant get any stall selling it near to my house. So happened that I saw a stall at Vivo City Republic Foodcourt with just that & serving with soya bean curd & soya bean milk drink.


This is the fried you tiao from Vivo. Sorry for the poor quality cos I took the pic discreetly using my HP. Some foodcourt doesn't allow photos to be taken. keke ;p

For the price of 80 cents, consider on the expensive side when we could get it at around 40-60 cents at hawker centers. However, I think its value for money... it was a mighty one, much bigger than those I had eaten before. Fried on the spot to a golden brown & extremely crispy.... aww... I'm missing the crunch now even when I write this. Yum yum ;)~~~~

I actually prefer to eat you tiao with my favourite coffee instead of soya bean milk :)


Above is a typical breakfast I had at home on weekends. Home made roti prata served with chicken curry & coffee.

The roti prata you see are of different size bcos they were from 2 brands of prata. The bigger piece below was onion flavour from Spring Home. The small one on top was plain prata from Chinatown brand. Personally, I think I prefer the Chinatown brand bcos of the right size, looks more palatable, its crispy too !! :)

For the chicken curry sauce, we have tried a lot of brands too. The one that I like "Rasaku" seems not easily avaiable nowdays. They only have the mixture for Chicken Rendang & not chicken curry. I had a hard time looking for it. The curry you see in the pic is from "Orient Of the Spice".... super oily & diluted (NOT nice!!), as though drinking oil glands.... LOL :)

Ended up, I just had prata on its on with the chicken & potato. It tasted just as fabulous that way.

44 Hugs for Amos & Zac:

Anonymous said...

I hate you. I go buy prata tonight and eat! *stomach growling*

J@n!ce said...

Ed : Bring me along then... LOL :)

Anonymous said...

Bring u along and make you into prata? Can eat for many nights!

J@n!ce said...

Ed : What???????? Go eat prata not make me into prata !! Luckily you din say chop n make curry... LOL ;)

Sunshinelene said...

hi jan, umade me miss my usual chinese breakfast when on the run -- the you tiao and bing or zhang bing (rotti) years ago in china. At times i buy bing or rotti in kilos and save it in the ref.

hmmm yummy breakfast u have here on week-ends!

khengsiong said...

Went with my sister to eat prata on Dec 30. Don't remember which place already. (BTW, I live in Malaysia but my sister lives in Singapore.) Waited for more than 30 minutes. Getting impatient...

Actually people went there for otak-otak, not prata...

Mariuca said...

Wow, the chic curry does look very oily. I myself can't seem to make good chic curry. Roti prata looks yummy and crispy, I like! :):):)

Adrian said...

Janice! Vivo City...is that at harbourfront...because if it is I was there at the same soya bean stall one day when I went to Singapore last year! Small world LOL I agree that you tiao should be taken with black coffee!! :)

The roti prata looks yummy...too bad that you can't get the same brand of curry...probably because it so good it's always sold out! :):)

Cheers! :)

WaterLearner said...

Wow... you are making me crave for prata liao!!!

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Oh no, another blog with pictures of food! I just came from Marzie's and it's full of pictures of food, now here too, how to diet la like this ... LOL!

J@n!ce said...

Arlene : I purchased prata in a packet with about.... 50 pc (if I rem correctly). You are right about storing it n consume slowly... ;p

Wen said...

wah ur typical weekends breakfast ah... so oily and u can stay so slim..

J@n!ce said...

Kheng Siong : Thanks for your visit. So pple are queueing for otah not prata ah... LOL :D

So did u eat the otah instead? ;p

J@n!ce said...

Marzie : My mum can make really good chic curry with thick paste. I should ask for her receipe :)

J@n!ce said...

Adrian : Oh yes, that's the place & you have tried it. How concidence. Glad that you love that you tiao & black coffee combi too !! YAY !! :)

Haha, I think you may be right about the curry paste. Good until no stock ;p

J@n!ce said...

Karen : When you shift over here. We go Jalan Kayu n eat ;)

J@n!ce said...

Nick : Oh yes, Marzie's lastest post abt foodie too. haha... nvm, after CNY than u diet ok? kekeke ;p

Anonymous said...

good thing i just had dinner...i never had..but they certainly look YUMMY!

J@n!ce said...

Jyankee : haha...those are famous local snacks :)

Amel said...

Hey, yu tiao is the same as the cakue that I made. The difference is that we eat cakue with chili sauce and nothing else he he he he...I LOVE cakue!!!! It takes a LONG time to prepare cakue dough before it can be deep-fried, though. ;-D

Themuxicbox said...

I love prata and curry! ;D Esp curry~

J@n!ce said...

Amel : So you have something similar to youtiao? Is that a Finnish or Indonesian snack? :)

J@n!ce said...

Jeslyn : Its weekend... duno if helper is preparing prata for us again? I doubt so cos I did not purchase the curry mixture .... keke ;p

Juliana said...

I also like soya bean milk, janice :D have a nice weekend...

Anonymous said...

I did try roti prata long time ago. I wonder if I can find it here. i think I ate in Asia before. But I forget where did i do that.

J@n!ce said...

Juliana : Have a good weekend with Jason. Muacks... :)

J@n!ce said...

Nyumix : I am having prata with sausage today :)

bokjae said...

Makes me feel hungry lah! Just visiting over the new year! Have a great start for the new year!

J@n!ce said...

BokJae : Have a GOOD 2008 with your loved ones :)

Anonymous said...

You must try soya bean with you tiao together.. Perfect match !

Is this the photo hunters of the week ?

J@n!ce said...

Keeyit : I've tried it before, I still prefer to go with coffee ;p

Blur Ting said...

Thanks for the prata recommendation! I shall buy some and make whenever I have craving at home!

Heart of Rachel said...

Hi Janice. That roti prata looks yummy.

BTW, I tried several times but your blog keeps refreshing and directing to another page ~ Advertlets.com. Don't know why but it just stays on for a few seconds and directs there. Thought you might want to know.

J@n!ce said...

Blur Ting : That's rite, save the trouble of driving all the way to Jalan Kayu for you... LOL :D

J@n!ce said...

Rachel : Thanks for pointing out to me. Apparently those with advertlets ads are affected. I have removed the ads for the time being. :)

Francine Ann said...

janice that looks very yummy. any recipes?

Francine Ann said...

janice that looks very yummy. any recipes?

J@n!ce said...

Francine : We bought the prata from supermarket to be frozen & fry at our convenience. For the curry, it is also those add water & boil type. No recipe.... *blush*

Amel said...

Cakue is Indonesian snack, but it can also be eaten with rice porridge he he he he...

J@n!ce said...

Amel : ic, I should check with my helper. She is from Indonesia too, perhaps she know how to make too...yum yum ;)

Amel said...

Ohhhh...your helper's from Indonesia? Well, here's the recipe for it:

CAKUE

J@n!ce said...

Amel : I check with her just now, she says its a bit difficult to make. haha :D

I also cant help cos I don't understand bahasa from the recipe you gave ;p

Sunshinelene said...

janice, you tiao is nice with soya milk. and the prata, i tried it with peanut butter when warm from the microwave. have u tried that. am hungry now reading back this post. hahaha

J@n!ce said...

Arlene : I love peanut butter even eating alone with it. I bet it taste good on you tiao too. ;)

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape