Admin Control Panel

New Post | Settings | Change Layout | Edit HTML | Moderate Comments | Sign Out

2008-06-24

The DENTIST Chair

Zac complained of pain quite some times back while I brush his teeth, I thought it was time to bring him to the dentist.
I sourced around for dentist that attend to young children & finally located a really gentle & patient doctor through a friend. A few weeks before going to the dentist. I tried to explain to Zac why he need to go to the dentist & told him that the dentist is actually a "FUN" place. The doctor will teach him the correct method to brush his teeth. He will lie down on the chair, relax & just open his mouth wide enough for the doctor to check. After that, he can go home with a really nice "smile" & no more pain subsequently when I brush his teeth for him :)

Zac actually look forward to seeing the doctor after constant days of hearing from me how cool a place the dentist clinic is. Some more I promised to bring him to catch fishes after that !! LOL :)
The appointment was 3 -5 pm for both of my boys. However, we waited till 4.30pm before Zac was called to enter. The boys were feeling restless actually. I understand from the nurses that the schedule for the day were all screwed up.... sigh !! :(
Zac has a total of about 10 cavities. Since this is his first visit, the doctor explained the tools to him one by one at least the child will get prepared of what will be "entering" his mouth later on. I though that was a really good idea, I cannot help thinking how patient this doctor is :):):)

The dentist filled up 3 really BIG cavities on his incisors that were more severe. I squatted down by Zac's side, holding on to his hands & patting him now & then to give him encouragement & support. I could tell that he was enduring the pain from his constant jerks & leg moments. You can see from the pic that he was actually rather nervous. He tried to control his emotions throughout the 1/2 hour. He struggle a bit to get out of the chair but he DID NOT cry at all. Such a BRAVE BOY !! I thought he did pretty well since this was his FRIST visit!! Even an adult would be restless & sore mouth from constant opening :)

Zac still has to go for subsequent visit to get the other cavities filled up as well. He has to get the cavities on his molars nicely cleared up as the doctor mentioned that those will have to last him till he is 12 years old. I think with his first experience at the dentist, the subsequent visit will hopefully be more comfortable to him :):)

Amos was just too restless by then & refused to open his mouth. There is no way for the doctor to check on him. Anyway, I don't see much problem on Amos at the moment except for some plague on his incisors & canine which definitely need the doctor's assistance to clear it off with the appropriate tools. I have arranged for the doctor to see my boys immediately after his lunch for the next visit. In that way, the boys do not have to wait so long & could co-operate better :):)

I highly recommend this doctor :

Dr Ian Teoh
The Smile Cliniques
42 Circular Rd
Singapore 049398
Tel : 6536 0942



46 Hugs for Amos & Zac:

Mommy Lose Weight said...

the moment I mention going to dentist, my girl ran away~

J@n!ce said...

Ling : I'm so afraid my boys will be like that too. So I always tell them that dentist is a fun place so as not to scare them off :)

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I dread dentists no matter how nice they are.

Blur Ting said...

Wow, your son did well. When they get to primary school,their teeth will be checked regularly by the school dentist. That will help alot in dealing with the stress of bringing them to the dentist.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

He's a brave boy, I would have ran away screaming ... LOL! I hate dentists. :D

J@n!ce said...

Eames : You cannot imagine how much I fear going to the dentist as a child. I'm so afraid to receive the dentist card during my pri school days. :(

J@n!ce said...

Blur : Yes, I'm one of the regulars gg to the school dentist during my pri school days. You can imagine how bad my teeth were then. I hope my boys will not be the same as me. Its really a fearful scene entering the dentist then :(

J@n!ce said...

Nick : I think its a good habit to get the kids used to going to the dentist. I don't have the habit of going there when I'm a tot, so when I start getting the dentist card during my school days. It just scare me off, its like taking off my life seeing the dentist :(

Trinity said...

Zac, you are a brave boy!! Bravo!!

Cliff has 2 cavities, and I have brought him to see dentist several times but he refused to open his mouth as well!! *sigh*

I just hope and pray someday Cliff will be able to overcome his feeling... or I have to get him anesthesia?

Anonymous said...

oh yr boys are so brave! imagine young children having to endure that. Even I still feel so uncomfortable going to the dentist. Even after having braces (which required monthly visits or much more frequent ones). lol

The Bimbo said...

WAH I know plenty of people who are afraid. I love to go and I'm so glad to see that Zac is so brave!!!! :)

Mariuca said...

Hola Janice! I hate going to the dentist too! And poor you and the boys had to wait so long, I'd be damn restless and angry! ;)

Btw, I have something for you at my blog, congrats sweetie!

Anonymous said...

my SIL's son has all 20 of teeth down by the dentist and he is only 4. guess i better take my children to the dentist real soon!

J@n!ce said...

Trinity : I get Zac mentally prepared going to the dentist by telling him constantly the need to do so. I showed him pictures of kids with very bad toothache problem. I'm glad my method works on him. He is really very brave at the dentist chair :)

J@n!ce said...

Erisha : Usually we waited till toothache to see a dentist. That is why the visit became such a torture & fearful matter. LOL :)

J@n!ce said...

Bobo : I'm really proud of him :)

J@n!ce said...

Marzie : I would have walked off if not for the sake of Zac since it is really tough to get a dentist appointment that specialize in seeing young children. Luckily I swallow down my anger, Zac is a jolly boy now without the major cavities on his incisors :)

J@n!ce said...

Wen : It is a good habit to bring the kids to the dentist since young :)

Amel said...

GOOD for Zac for being brave!!! ;-D I don't remember anymore my first dentist appointment he he he...

J@n!ce said...

Amel : I can still vaguely rem my first visit to the dentist. I just dislike the smell. It makes the whole atmosphere really tense for me :(

chartao said...

Zac is very brave..

this reminds me to go to the dentist soon...

i remembered that i have a long break of going to the dentist after primary school until at least visit one these 3 years..

Juliana said...

applause for Zac :D

Mariuca said...

Yeah la woman, got no choice but to wait huh? Uh oh maybe I should stop giving the cuties all the lollipops, must jaga their teeth he he! :)

Dropping off Mariuca EC for u Janice, have a good day! :):):)

J@n!ce said...

Leonard : My longest break from visiting the dentist was about 4 yrs I think... LOL :)

J@n!ce said...

Juliana : Thanks *clap*clap*

J@n!ce said...

Marzie : LOL.... I restrict to only one candy each day for them only. They have to brush their teeth after eating ;p

Chinneeq said...

wow..Bravo to Zac!!

HiPnCooLMoMMa said...

good job Zac! you are such a brave boy

Bobby Revell said...

Hi Janice! I always liked when the dentist gave me laughing gas...haha! I've never seen those dark glasses he wore, my dentist made me watch:)

J@n!ce said...

Chin Nee : That's right. He was really brave at his first dental visit :)

J@n!ce said...

Girlie : Thanks :)

J@n!ce said...

Bobby : LOL !! You must have very bad toothache to be using laughing gas? ;p

^^TeReNcE^^ said...

A nice movie to recommend - "10 Promises to My Dog" :)

can watch with family lor. yup yup

Jean Chia aka Ms.Yummy~licious said...

i hate going to the dentist! yuck!! ><

btw, i've got a tag for you! Do this when you are free, k!

J@n!ce said...

Terrence : Thanks for the recommendation, will check it out :)

LZmommy said...

Brave boy Zac! :) Good that you brought him earlier to the dentist. My friend's daughter had many of her teeth removed cos it was too late to do anything.

J@n!ce said...

Jean : Thanks for the tag. The list is really growing by days :)

J@n!ce said...

Jane : That is what I'm afraid of them losing the teeth. That's why I try to convince Zac to visit the dentist earlier. He is telling me now that his molars hurt a bit too & wanna see the dentist... haha :)

kegler747 said...

I commend Zac for being very brave! I know that when you have a toothache everything in your body also aches so I have a phobia to have a problem with my teeth. I just visited the dentist just last month and thank goodness everything is well :)

Anonymous said...

What a brave boy!!!! Auntie Angeline is super fidgety when it comes to opening my mouth infront of the dentist....*ouch*

I was hoping to read some very-1st-post-dentist visit feedback from the boys, 'cos Mommy said it's a 'fun' place *wink*....ooohh but there isn't, so sad....

J@n!ce said...

Carlo : Good for you :):)

J@n!ce said...

Angeline : Can you believe that Zac wanted to go to the dentist again? He told me that his molars hurt now & wanted the dentist to "help" him. ;p

Heart of Rachel said...

I'm amazed how brave Zac was at the dentist. I brought Yohan to a pediatric dentist several months ago. Yohan showed signs of apprehension but the dentist had a great way of dealing with kids. She successfully made Yohan comfortable in her clinic. It helped that the clinic was decorated especially for kids.

J@n!ce said...

Rachel : I specially look for dentist specialize in dealing with kids too. It was a good choice bcos the dentist is really patient :)

Glad to know that Yohan was comfortable there :)

Drea said...

Im curious.. how old is zac? I think Caleb has atleast 1 cavity... I never had cavities as a child so I feel like a bad parent because my son may have just 1 LOL... but I hear its common these days for toddlers to get them.. My husband had a mouth full as a child.

J@n!ce said...

Drea : Zac is 4 yrs 9 mths :)

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape