Admin Control Panel

New Post | Settings | Change Layout | Edit HTML | Moderate Comments | Sign Out

2007-10-11

Throwback Thursday : 4 mths old Hair Shaving Ceremony

Chinese would know that there is a hair shaving ceremony for infants. I also don't know the meaning of the ceremony. It could be to bring good luck to the baby? Maybe someone could enlighten me? Some do it on their full month (ie 1 month old), others prefer it on their 4th month old. For us, we did the latter.

This was how Zac looked like one day before his 4 mth old hair shaving. He got lots of hair & they were really curly which the elderly love !! Everyone commented on his hair since he was born, even till now :)

On the actual day, my sis-in-law, who used to be a hairdresser shave the hair for Zac.
Initially, he was alright, however, he started to scream due to the discomfort when the shaven hair started to fall onto his body. He was scared of the sound from the shaver too :(

What a neat head, no more messy curly hair (I personally prefer straight ones).
I quite like his "monk" look... hehe ;p
Really easy to shower too !! :):)

Unlike Zac, Amos has lesser hair since birth.
His hair is soft & straight which I love to touch :)
This was how he look like a few days before the ceremony !!

Amos started to cry soon after the shaving commenced (see 2nd photo)

This was how Amos look like after the shave. Really cute right? :)

71 Hugs for Amos & Zac:

mr fong said...

I think both look so cute.. :)

Will go genting tmr 6am,sigh...Do miss me,and come over still huh! ;p

Winston Fong

Bobby Revell said...

He he...Amos had quite a frown in that bottom picture! Yes, these are some great pictures! Some of my favourites from you!!!

lilifxt said...

hi janice he looks cute actually both of them i think in some countries they shave for babies coz they have a better heavy and thick hairs to grow thats why they shave it thats what i know about peopel in india,saudia arabia and in pakistan i knew that muslims do that three times head shaving for the baies but here in egypt nobody does that i did it to my kids but only once dodo have thick hair but ali doesnt have even after shaving his head he had less hair until now another thing our boys got in common....:)

the pictures are adorable and i loved them

hugs n kisses for the boys

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Janice, Zach looks like a Japanese to me with his hair before it was cut ... LOL! cute kid ...

WaterLearner said...

Hey,

Your two handsomes both look very "in" with their bald hair cut leh.

I like your Thursday Throw-backs theme. Keeps your good blog anchored in theme plus the photos are all soooo cute.

Eh, hubbs said sorry for not buying anything for you? Feeling better not? Hee Hee, my hubs knew I have been sad not able to sign up for the run. Yesterday he bought me a new Sony MP3 player with FM Radio for me to listen to while I run. My old one spoilt liao.

Yippeee... Tomolo Friday liao lor!

J@n!ce said...

Winston : You heading to Genting today. No school meh? Its gonna be crowded bcos of Raya. GOod Luck :):)

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Bobby : They must be still having the phobia that they just dislike to cut hair, They have never been to a salon before. I cant get them sitted down. All the while, I'm their personal stylist. hehe ;p

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Lili : Thanks for telling me bit of info about the hair ceremony. Now I know the reason behind. We have yet another thing in common that our babies are on the extreme ends with one that has so much hair & one that doesn't grow much LOL :)

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Nick : Correct, a lot of pple said he looked like Korean or Japanese boy cos he has very small & single eyelid :)

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Karen : Awww... your hubs so thoughtful knowing that wifey is sad for not able to join the run. You "tan teo" (gain) liao loh !! :)

Janice Ng

Adrian said...

Janice! Your two little "lollipops" look so cute with their shaven heads.

I don't the significance of full moon either. I can ask my wifey and let you know if you'd like! We didn't do it for our little one...no way! :) LOL

Genie King

Jean Chia aka Ms.Yummy~licious said...

hahaha.. jan, i laughed throughout your post. They are so cute. The best one is Amos frowning. hehe..

and is that a printed comforter on the first photo?

Jean Chia

J@n!ce said...

Jean : The first photo is actually a feature from my old camera. It capture 2 shots into an image. Now that you mention comforter, it really look like Zac is cover with a comforter with his photo there.. haha :D

That's a good one !! :)

Janice Ng

WaterLearner said...

Jan,

Indeed I "mo tun tun tan teo" lor! He saw me so sad mah ... what to do. Hee Hee. You still got use the threadmill? I go Amore tonight. Run for half hour then go for the Hi-Lo class.

Weather in Singapore no good these days. You and the boys must drink more water. :-)

mr fong said...

Karen so kind, ur hubby so nice, i should marry him ;p

Jan, now is Raya but all Malay bz and no one there so I hope it's empty :) I using lanshop now, so expensive,how are u?

Havn't heard u shout at my place for long...never 'guang Gu' liao,haha.

WaterLearner said...

Wow .. Winston using Chinese ah!! Guang Gu ah ...

Anonymous said...

Haha, I really enjoy this post. "Botak" very cute! Well, I dun even noe got such ceremony. I shall do that to my kid, oops... not yet! :P

emilayusof said...

Hi Janice! Great pictures! Anyway, here wishing you greeat days ahead, I will be on leave and be back next week! Take care!

Love,
Emila

kegler747 said...

Hehehe, very cute pictures :) Here in the Philippines despite that we are a Christian country we also the same kind of "ritual" or "superstition" but the reason normally given is that it is shaven to have a more thick and manageable hair.

J@n!ce said...

Karen : So shiok lah, your hubs sure knows how to pamper his lovely wifey. So sweet lah !! :)

Yes, I still run on the treadmill on alternative days, got to run again tmr.

Enjoy your Amore Hi-Lo later :D

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Winston : You at Genting still can blog? If yourself a break lah... its time to enjoy since exam is over. Dun say until like that. I'm really busy with family matters now. Both my eldest siblings are in the hospital. Also, I'm learning my driving & also got to exercise & take care of the kids. You say busy or not?

Hope you enjoy your trip :D

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Karen : I saw your shout over at his. He fail his chinese paper ah? Cham liao... mummy is going to scold him !!

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

MW : You will know it when you have babies in future. You parents should be aware of the ceremony :)

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Emila : Have a good holiday & enjoy :)

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Carlo : So far that I heard it is to have a more glorious hair growth. I think you are right. I thought it is for good luck. I'm so ignorant lah !! :)

Janice Ng

Anonymous said...

ya.. really don't know why. But my mom says it's for baby's good luck wor..

pat said...

Hey Janice :) Thanks for coming to my blog.Keep in touch ! :)

J@n!ce said...

Pat : You're welcome :)

Janice Ng

Amel said...

They're ABSOLUTELY adorable! My fave pic is when Amos started crying hi hi hi...SO CUTE hi hi hi...

We also have the tradition in Indonesia. It seems that Indo people believe that after doing that, then the kids' hair would grow thicker.

J@n!ce said...

Amel : I think so too, shaving will makes the hair grow up thicker. Thanks for telling me that Indonesia also have the same tradition :)

Janice Ng

Leena said...

shern also has curly hair like zac. people adore boys with curly hair horr..
cute cute.

The Bimbo said...

Babies are such cute... but fragile little beings... :) Your little ones were so cute when they were tinyy!!

J@n!ce said...

Shern's Mom : That's rite, they just love children with curly hair... how come huh? ;p

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Bobo : Children below 3 yrs old are most adorable. After that, they are not very fun liao.. haha :D

Janice Ng

Heart of Rachel said...

How nice that you were able to document these memorable highlights.

J@n!ce said...

Rachel : You cannot imagine how many photos I have taken of the boys since they were born. haha :D

Its a priceless treasure now I love to look back their photos :)

Janice Ng

Trix said...

Janice, what awesome pictures! Its fortunate that you always seem to have your camera ready....or else we wouldnt be able to share all these precious moments in the lives of your sons.I love the little monk look, it suits him perfectly. But I also love the first picture...he looks totally Huggable and very sweet! :)

JesseTheCat

Par said...

I never hear of that before. Don't think I be doing that when I do have kids. But he's still a cutie!

darlene said...

they are both so cute hair or no hair

Sam Chan said...

Hi Janice,
Looks like you take snapshots at every moments.

Amos is really so cute! His facial expression looks like he knows and feel sad losing all his nice hairs after the shave :-)

Thanks for sharing these cute photos.
Best Wishes
Let's Acquire Wisdom and Live with Passion

J@n!ce said...

Jesse : I bring along my camera everywhere I go. I mean outdoors of course. I wouldn't want to miss a nice scene of my boys enjoying themselves. They are precious to me & I want to capture those moments to re-cap in future :)

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Pearly : Its actually quite cute seeing them clean shaven :)

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Darlene : Everybody loves Zac's curly hair, kinda reluctant to shave it. However, once done... we were like "Aww... he actually look more alert & cuter !! " :):)

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Sam : Haha.. that's rite !! Amos cried the moment the shaver touched his hair. I think he knew that we are taking off his hair. LOL :D

Janice Ng

Anonymous said...

wow what a different ceremony you have there Janice.. awww poor Amos looks like he doesnt want to lose his hair hehe.. OH btW sorry to hear about your brother too. prayers for him. thanks for saying some prayers for my dad yesterday

Mariuca said...

Aiyo Janice!!!! So many cute pics of Zac and Amos here la!! Geram!! Malays have the same ceremony too, it's nice to see us sharing the same tradition! Have a good holiday dear and I'll see u soon k! Love and hugs!!

Genie Princess

Amel said...

Some pic link:

My Pics

Health Freak Mommy said...

I like botak babies too, so cute and round. Amos looked so cute here with his pouting lips as his head was being shaved :D

J@n!ce said...

Jenny : Amos cried so much. He must be missing his hair & didn't want to be have the bald look... LOL :)

I think he look more adorable with the clean shaven hair :)

Thank you for thinking & praying for my brother !! It is all up to his strength for survival how long he could endure. May GOD bless him :)

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Marzie : That's what I heard that malays also have the same ceremony. Take more picture during Raya. I want to see !!
Have fun & enjoy :)

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Amel : Thanks for sharing the beautiful white scene to this "mountain tortise" friend of yours.. haha :D

They are really beautiful & precious to me cos I've never get to see a real one before :)

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Shireen : Amos reaction was really fast. He cried the moment he sense the shaver was close to him. haha :D

Janice Ng

Blur Ting said...

That frowny photo of Amos is so cute!

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha... I love that picture of him pouting, almost crying. Such a classic expression.

Anonymous said...

They look so cute and shiny clean. I love that little pout
too. Amos looks so perfect after his shave. He looks like a "top" Monk.
Thanks for sharing the photos.

Anonymous said...

aiyoh, so poor thing la, so cham and funny when i saw the photo...
u hv 2 darling boys.. is it diff to care for 2 boys..
first time here.. can i link u

HiPnCooLMoMMa said...

i don't know about that shaving tradition or ceremony, but here in the Philippines they shave the hair off if it's too thin, to be able to grow thicker hair. Don't know if that works.

J@n!ce said...

Blur Ting : Amos was all ready to cry.... hoowaaahhhhh ;p

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Ed : That's rite, he was about to cry when I took that photo of him :)

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

J@n!ce said...

Kathy : I thought the boys looked adorable in the "monk" looks too ;p

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Wen : Thanks for the visit. I will link you too :)

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Girlie : I think its did work for my 2 boys cos they have slight more hair now compared to previously. Anyway, I wouldn't want to miss a good chance to see their cute little "monk" look. That was the best time to shave. They are really adorable :)

Janice Ng

RW said...

awww poor Amos he didnt like that

Jamy said...

Janice!!!

I really love this throwback thursday.

I love the photo when ZAC smile so sweetly after the shaving ceremony

And also love the photos when Amos felt so innocent looking at the camera lens after the shaving ceremony and expressed, "Why did that to me? I always behave very well, mummy and daddy!"

HAHAHAA! Make me laugh and smile for the day

J@n!ce said...

Jamilla : Zac must be feeling so cooling after the shave cos he has realy thick & messy hair since birth. Amos on the other hand must be feeling sad cos he already has very little hair. His innocent look in the last pic could have expressed what you said. haha :)

Janice Ng

J@n!ce said...

Roger : Amos was afraid of losing his newborn hair... haha :D

Janice Ng

dodong flores 도동 플로오리스 said...

It's my first time to hear about Chinese' hair shaving ceremony for infants. Haven't heard of that before. Your kids look like cute shaolin monks :)
they look good with shaved head...

J@n!ce said...

Dodong : haha. Cutie Shaolin monks huh... :)

Janice Ng

Unknown said...

Oh! He's soooo adorable with or without hair!

J@n!ce said...

Elaine : Thanks, did you shave your 2 angels ones when they were younger? :)

Janice Ng

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape