Admin Control Panel

New Post | Settings | Change Layout | Edit HTML | Moderate Comments | Sign Out

2007-06-30

How to beef up a 3 yrs 8 mths old?

Some friends came over to my house for a round of mahjong yesterday. It has been quite a while since I last played the game. It was nice to have friends over to chit-chat & catch up a bit.

One of the friends saw Zac & commented that he has slim down. Yes, Zac has slim down quite a lot from his looks. I am not too sure if this is because he have grown taller so looks slimmer.

This was the photo of him stacking up the mahjong tile enjoying himself while the adults were busy chatting away. The output of his work ... .... an evenly distributed "pyramid" !! *impressed*

Zac dislikes the taste of formula milk. He stopped drinking formula since 2 mths old... I breast feed him till 2 years old when I got pregnant again then I weaned him off. He will "shiver with fear" when he tasted milk, be it fresh milk, flavoured milk or anything to do with MILK.

This makes me headache because he may lacks calcium & all the nutrients required for his development. Eventually, I found that he can endure the taste of yoghurt drinks .... sounded good enough for me as there is milk content in it. Finally.... there will be some intake of milk from this source. Ever since then, he is drinking one packet of Anlene flavoured (strawberry or orange) yorgurt milk every morning to go along with his breakfast. I also bought the BRANDs taurine & DHA supplement for him to take in order to boost up his nutrients in this area. But recently, he is showing signs of reluctance to take the supplement which is of orange tablet candy form. He is other then that eating normally for his 3 meals which comprise of :

Breakfast :
1) Flavoured yoghurt drink (everyday)
2) Sausage or ham & cheese bread/roti prata with egg/cake/yam bun/ (either one)
3) Beancurd (occasionally if dining outside)

Lunch :
1) Bee Hoon/ Mee Sua/ Udon/ Macroni (either one all soup based ) with minced pork, fish, vege, carrot, tomato
2) Rice with steam or fried minced pork egg, stir fried vege (e.g spinach, fresh beans, brocolli) & steam fish
3) Fruits (e.g apple, orange, kiwi, strawberry, pear)

Snack :
Biscuit/Cake/Ice cream/Tit-bits/Ribena/Yoghurt

Dinner is rice with :
1) Stir fried minced pork beancurd, egg with onion or minced pork
2) Stir fried vege (e.g. spinach, fresh beans, brocolli,brinjal ...etc)
3) Fried chicken wing/chicken nugget/fish nugget
4) Steam or stir fried fish
5) Chicken herbal or ginseng soup/potato,carrot & sweet corn soup/ watercress soup ... etc
6) Fruits (e.g apple, orange, kiwi, strawberry, pear)

The above is what he eat for home cook food.

Can someone please advise me if this is adequate for a 3 yrs 8mths old development. What should I provide him to beef him up? What is he lacking?

Need all of your feedback. Thank You.

9 Hugs for Amos & Zac:

Crazed Nitwit said...

Janice~

He eats more than my 16yo! He's fine. He's getting plenty of protein, carbohydrates, and fat which is necessary for good brain growth, plenty of fruit and veggies,he's not getting too much sugar or processed food. Girl I am impressed at how well fed he is. Kids slim down as they hot pre-school age(3-5).

There are many ways to get calcium besides milk, just make sure he's also getting vitamin D3 and vitamin C. A multivitamin would cover his needs.

Can I come eat at your house? Ot all sounds good and I love when someone else cooks!!!

Gove your boys extra hugs from me. My teenagers don't like me to hug them anymore. :(

J@n!ce said...

Hi pal,
Oh... really? My boy is eating much more than your children... hehehe ;p
But he is so skinny leh. he looks very boney when he is topless. ;(
I wonder where have all the food gone to !?!?!?!?!?

Crazed Nitwit said...

Hey you.

Vitamin D is synthesized through our skin when we spend enough time in the sun. Sunscreen can block this. D is also is in eggs, liver and fish. D3 can be found in supplements as well.

I hope you have a great weekend too!

daN's PortaL said...

wow, zac's pyramid is indeed impressive! i used to be around his size when i was his age. then i got sooooo chubby when i grad from primary sch. thankfully i shed those fats later on. u r feeding him well dere. some kids jz dun grow bigger but as long as they r active n healthy, dat's all dat matters ^_^

HiPnCooLMoMMa said...

maybe he has gotten taller...with your list, he's a healthy boy. as long as he doesn't get sick that often, then that's ok.

but if you can get him to drink milk, it's even better. have you tried giving him milk in tetra bricks? like the one's from nestle? do you have chocolait there?

Adrian said...

My 2 yr old daughter just refuses to eat no matter what we try! I'm going to try a some of the stuff you listed and hope she eats better :)

J@n!ce said...

Janice : Now I know why my neighbour is giving her 2 yrs old pig's liver.... so there is vit D from there. I myself dislike the taste of pig's liver. I hope Zac can take it. Or perhaps I should let him be out in the sun more often. But he is scare of heat :(

Dan : Thanks for the reply, I wrote a comment in your blog too.

HipnCoolMomma : Zac dun like chocolate as well, he prefer strawberry chocolate I mean those chocolate in blocks form & not milk. I have a hard time locating strawberry chocolate until recently Kit Kat launched the strawberry while chocolate. It is rather costly ;)

Adrian : Wow, I din expect my menu list can actually sound good for you to follow for your 2 yrs old who isn't eating well :)

rachelsee said...

Hi Janice, thanks for dropping by my site! I think you are doing well providing him such a balanced diet everyday. Don't think you need to worry much. Think kids that were breastfed tends to be less chubby.

emilayusof said...

Hi Janice! Zac is one handsome boy! My son lost weight as well, he is 3 years + 6 months now. He refuses to eat and only depend on formula. I also pening kepala!

Anyway, Amos is adorable!

P/S thank you for dropping by my site.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape