Admin Control Panel

New Post | Settings | Change Layout | Edit HTML | Moderate Comments | Sign Out

2008-04-22

My first attempt to make Oreo Cheesecake...

I just love Oreo & Cheesecake. The 2 together would make a sinful treat for me once in a while. It would be wonderful if I could make it myself. It may seem easy for some but for a lousy cook like me, it could mean difficulty !!

Just the other day, my friend, Pauline (thanks dear) shared the recipe with me. I learnt from her that there are 2 methods to making the cheesecake : bake & non-bake version. I immediately requested for the non-bake version since I still haven't gotten an oven (sigh!!).

I went to Phoon Huat (Bedok branch) to purchase some of the baking stuff. The rest of the consumables, I got it from NTUC.

In case you are interested, here's the recipe :

ingredients (base) :

110g digestive biscuits, chopped into fine crumbs
40g melted butter

(filling) :
250g cream cheese

45ml milk
50g icing sugar
1 tbsp vanilla essence
8 oreo cookies (coarsely chopped)

4 oreo cookies (finely chopped)
250ml whipping cream
1tbsp gelatine powder
3 tbsp boiling water

Method :
1. Mix biscuit crumbs & melted butter together and press firmly onto the base of cake tin. Chill for 30 minutes.
2. Beat whipping cream with electric beater until 70% stiff or until mousse-like.
3. Double-boil gelatine & boiling water until totally dissolved. Keep warm. (to double-boil, heat a pot filled with water and place another bowl inside the pot & gelatine & boiling water into the bowl).
4. Beat cream cheese, icing sugar, milk and vanilla essence until smooth & creamy. Blend in gelatine solution.
5. Blend in whipping cream.
6. Pour 1/2 the cheese mixture onto the base. Chill for another 15 minutes.
7. Stir in finely chopped cookies into the other 1/2 of the mixture. Mix well.
8. Sprinkle coarsely chopped cookies on top of the first half of cheese mixture.
9. Pour in the other half of the cheese mixture.
10. Chill for 3 to 4 hours before serving.

Thanks to my mother-in-law who passed her 30 yrs old electric beater from moulinex to me, this makes my job such a breeze ;p

It took me 1.5 hrs to complete the whole process & to wait another 3 to 4 hrs for the cake to chill.

Mission a ccomplished !! Presenting to you my FIRST ever attempt to make a cake *blush*
Greatest achievement for me is hearing that my hubs, boys & maid all say that
"Its YUMMY!!".... YAY ! !

If I can do it, you can too..... hehehehehe ;p



57 Hugs for Amos & Zac:

Anonymous said...

oooh my... you are making me salivate... now I can't wait to try the non-bake version Oreo Cheesecake ;)

Jean Chia aka Ms.Yummy~licious said...

great job, superb mom! is this the first time you're making a cake? :) it does looks yummy! thanks for sharing, jan! i make orea ice-cream cake before but not cheesecake. i am gonna try it out when im free. :)

hey, did u know that i have a "Share Your Recipe" column at my blog? Come & share yr recipe wt me(if u like)! i'll publish it in my blog! :)

J@n!ce said...

Pauline : Try it, its so easy, thanks for sharing with me. Your recipe just gave me confidence to bake cake now... YAY !! :)

J@n!ce said...

Jean : Oreo ice-cream cake. That sure seems good. Will check it out. Perhaps could make it for Zac's coming birthday :)

Mariuca said...

Hi Jan! Don worry, I also don have oven he he...or not for sure I'll be making my brownies, sardine rolls and lasagna oredi he he!! Anyway, glad to see the oreo cheesecake turned out yummy! Who best to be the judge than hubbs and the cuties right? Congrats! ;)

J@n!ce said...

Marzie : Thanks. You know what, its a success now & I am on the role for more difficult task for the family's taste bud ;p

Its actually very satisfying. I never know making cake can be so fulfilling :)

Adrian said...

Janice!! The oreo cheese cake looks really yummy...I MEAN REALLY YUMMY!!! Chocolate and cheesecake what more could a person want right? No wonder everyone said that its yummy...just look at it!! Save a slice for me okay!! hehehe

J@n!ce said...

Adrian : Yes sure, you need to eat more now since you are thinking hard for your study. All the best :)

LadyJava said...

Janice!! I was over at Marzie's and saw you brought her your oreo cheesecake... I just got to come over and visit you for some.. anymore or not!!! lolzz... WOW!!! First attempt and it looks so good.. Now I AM itching to try it... thanks for sharing the recipe dearie... yumm.. eh if don't have beater how??

J@n!ce said...

LJ : You are so funny, sure... I make such a big portion :)

If you don't have an electric beater, may have to use the manual beater which is quite tedious & tiring ;)

MakeTraffic said...

Wow! Janice. That look so Yummy! I am hungry now. Thanks for sharing the method. Can't wait to try that! Cheers!

LadyJava said...

Janice.. thanks for bringing some of your cheesecake to LJL.. yumsss... hmm I don't have electric beater lahh... so I guess got to get one if I want to bake this eh...ok wait for my next ppp payout..lolzzz..

Thanks again Janice dearest!!!

J@n!ce said...

LJ : lolzzz... I bet you don't have to wait too long. You are doing good at PPP. Cheers !!

Cant wait to see your oreo cheesecake too :)

J@n!ce said...

MT : Ask your wifey to make it for you. Like I say, its really not tough at all. No need to bake somemore :)

Anonymous said...

Janice, I think I should try your recipe.

Blur Ting said...

Wah, looks nice. I used to like baking but nowadays I am too lazy. My kids don't really like cakes and I'll probably be the one eating up everything!

Amel said...

Hey, THANKS for the recipe! I may try it sometime during May Day holiday since I have a long holiday then HO HO HO HO HO HO...;-D

Mariuca said...

Hi Jan! I'm back for some more cake and to drop off a tag for u, have fun! :)

http://mariuca.blogspot.com/2008/04/boo-to-bad-service.html

WaterLearner said...

Way to go!! Welcome! The cake looks delicious!

DubLiMan said...

I do the cooking in my house and this sounds just a little too rich for me.

Now for the reason I came by………
As you may be aware, the Big Bang has almost reached 800 sites, which is amazing. I feel that the 1,000-site goal is very doable. If you have not updated your list in a while, I would suggest doing so at http://mondaymorningpower.blogspot.com/2008/01/big-bang-master-list.html, and moving it to your front page, however, that is not the reason for leaving this comment.

I firmly believe that great things will happen to those who express gratitude for what they have. I am tagging you to express your gratitude with a Gratitude meme. Just go to http://AreYouGrateful.Com and follow the simple rules. Tagging is optional, but encouraged. This does come with a health portion of link-love. I also believe that over time, this will grow bigger than the Big Bang. If you don’t feel like being grateful maybe you would like to complain about something. Just go to http://ComplainComplainComplain.Com and follow those rules. The link-love is a combination of those two sites.

I hope to see you at of them………or maybe even both.

Trinity said...

Janice... sometimes I can't load blogspot.. :-(( that's why I can't visit you and leave some comments here... I read your post through my reader, but fail to load your page yesterday. I've tried several times a day, but couldn't load it..no worries, it's not your blog, it's my problem.. can't load ALL BLOGSPOT! :-((

owww... it only need freezer to make that?! No need to bake?! I wanna try!! I wanna try!! I can't bake, now I hope I can chill...hahaha

*drooling*

J@n!ce said...

MMP : Thanks, will check it out :)

J@n!ce said...

Nyumix : Yes, try it... easy breezy ;p

J@n!ce said...

Blur : My boys love cakes, pizza & cheesy ham quiche. If I can bake all those. That's gonna be very fulfilling :)

J@n!ce said...

Marzie : Got another tag? I'm running so far behind in doing tags now. Will check it out :)

J@n!ce said...

Karen : My parents tried the cake too. My dad says is a bit sweet cos he don't really like sweet food due to health concern ;)

kegler747 said...

Looks very delicious! We also made Oreo cheesecake once in highschool in our home economics class... Just a tip, you can substitue graham crackers for the digestive biscuits as they have a taste of honey ;)

J@n!ce said...

Trin : So you've got some problem with blogspot I see?

The cake is non bake, so just chill.... easy rite? :)

J@n!ce said...

Carlo : Thanks for the tip, will check it out :)

Old Beng said...

Well done, eh... got extra bo?

J@n!ce said...

Beng : You came a bit too late. All gobbled up yesterday night ;)

Napaboaniya.Elaine Ling said...

We're both living in the east right. Next time you're making it can I pop over :P heehee...

Hope both your boys recover soon from the run-away nose and cough.
Worried about dengue, eastern side quite a number of dengue cases *sweats*

Juliana said...

hmmmmmmmmm...seems delicious :D yummy.

Themuxicbox said...

That day we tried to make a cheese cake. We bought the wrong gelatin (we bought the kind used to make agar agar) and the cheesecake turned out shytty ;OP

J@n!ce said...

Elaine : Yes, Amos had slight rashes on his arm & body last weekend. It got me all worried. Its not HFMD though... really *sweat*

J@n!ce said...

Jeslyn : Oh no. I used the powder form one. No worries. Practice makes perfect. Try again !! :)

J@n!ce said...

Juliana : Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

i will try when i go get some oreos.. thks for sharing

LZmommy said...

Wow! Yummy cheesecake! At this hour, you are making me hungry :) Have to try this one of these days :) Thanks for sharing!

J@n!ce said...

Wen : Ok, share with us your cake when it is done :)

J@n!ce said...

Jane : Wah, so late you still haven't rest? Try it & let me know the results :)

Anonymous said...

ohh it does look delicious! double thumbs up for you. =)

I agree that oreo cheesecake is totally a sinful desert. I just loooooove it. maybe I should try making. =P

J@n!ce said...

Erisha : Yes, very sinful... felt bloated after taken a slice actually... *burp*

chartao said...

looked good, didn't save a piece for me ah?

^^TeReNcE^^ said...

My LaoPo likes OREO cheezecake a lot :)

She did attempt once last time making it for my bdae :)

OREO rulez!! Hee.. :P

J@n!ce said...

Leonard : haha... its been days already, even if left one for you, also not fresh anymore. :)

J@n!ce said...

Terrence : Yay !! Oreo ROCKS !! :):)

Heart of Rachel said...

That looks really tempting. Great job! Keep those desserts coming. :)

Bobby Revell said...

Yay!!! Janice made a pie!!!! Please mail me a slice via overnight FedEx, I shall be expecting my slice tomorrow....hahahaha:)

It looks good Janice, how long did it take you guys to eat it all?

J@n!ce said...

Rachel : Thanks :)

J@n!ce said...

Bobby : LOL... its gonna melt before it reached the airport...;p

We finished it up with 2 days.... *burp* :)

Nina Nichols said...

It looks so yummy. I think I'll try this myself first thing tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing.:)

msloulou said...

SLURP! It looks yummy!

J@n!ce said...

Nina : Show us the cake after it is done. Have FUN :)

J@n!ce said...

LouLou : hehe, it is :)

Anonymous said...

that sure tastes yummy, jan. just it's look --it's very very ymmmyyy.

congrats for the first try and good luck to more makings!

J@n!ce said...

Arlene : Thanks, I'm surprised that my first attempt turned out fine :)

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape