Admin Control Panel

New Post | Settings | Change Layout | Edit HTML | Moderate Comments | Sign Out

2008-06-09

Zac is learning Chinese

We hardly speak to the boys in mandarin at home, as such, Zac's Chinese knowledge is limited. I sent him to Chinese language school (once a week) recently & glad that he is showing some improvement in both his speech, recognition of characters & writing after 10 lessons.

The above picture showing him practising his writing at home. I'm glad I made a good move to send him for enrichment class to get him interested in the language through singing songs, learning the writing strokes & characters. Initially, I'm so afraid that he will have a phobia since he could hardly understand the language, now he could roughly figure out what people is talking about !! However, he still isn't communicating much in mandarin. I think we really have to start speaking in mandarin more often to motivate him to speak up :):)

47 Hugs for Amos & Zac:

Sultana said...

I could never remember the strokes when learning Pinyin at the Uni. LOL.. The darnest thing is, a 4 year old can beat me to it. LOL

kegler747 said...

Ni hao! It really pays to be a bilingual or multilingual :) Keep up the good work Zac.

Mommy Lose Weight said...

yes you shld start by speaking more Mandarin to him. for the Jun holidays, it's Speak-Mandarin-daily at my home and I think it helps my girl :)

Chinneeq said...

seems that it is so important to learn and understand chinese nowadays. U made the right choice for Zac, Janice :)

Bobby Revell said...

Hi Janice! I want to learn Mandarin too. I can speak English and a little German and Japanese:)

Anonymous said...

he shd be fine, once he gets used to mandarin, he will soon be comfortable with it. my son dont speak mandarin at home and goes to eng medium kindy although there is mandarin class. i send him to mandarin language school everyday for 1.5 hrs... he understand a lot and can recognized a lot of words..
yes, speaking some mandarin helps.when u speak mandarin at home, ensure that the whole sentence is in mandarin, same goes with eng. dont mix eng and mandarin together...thats what the chinese school teacher told me to do when i was afraid ian cant catch up too

Trinity said...

It's great to have our kids learn language in their early age! I can't speak chinese, but Clay got Chinese subject at school so I don't have to teach him anymore..

I try to enroll my kids to school that use chinese and english in their learning process...

Janice, I invite/tag you for Tribute Project... hope you can participate.. :-)

LZmommy said...

That's great! He looks like he enjoy writing the words :)

Nowadays, we make effort to speak Mandarin at home with our kids.

chartao said...

being a chinese need to speak and write chinese!!

but the 抄写 is very tiring!!

Jean Chia aka Ms.Yummy~licious said...

great job, zac! aunty jean can only write a few mandarin words. :)

J@n!ce said...

Syari : I'm trying to recall how I learn the language when I'm younger. It really look tough ah !! :)

J@n!ce said...

Carlo : Thanks, its good to be multilingual. I regretted not completing my Jap classes back in my school days :(

J@n!ce said...

Ling : I think it is a good idea to start during this June holiday since they are at home most of the time :)

J@n!ce said...

Chin Nee : Thanks. "No PAIN, No Gain"... haha :)

J@n!ce said...

Bobby : You can speak a little jap too. I did not complete the course, only know a little basic that's all. Good for you, Bobby... you are multilingual :)

J@n!ce said...

Wen : Nowdays, I have to speak to the boys in mandarin, than translate to them in English for them to understand :)

J@n!ce said...

Trinity : You have set up good standards how a parent should nurture the kids. GOOD JOB, Trin :)

J@n!ce said...

Jane : haha, he is fine with writing a few words a day. He will scream the moment I ask him to write more. He will say "he needed a rest !!" LOL :)

J@n!ce said...

Leonard : You mean Dictation? I cant recall if I have dictation in chinese last time in school. I'm so forgetful ;(

J@n!ce said...

Jean : Good that you can still write a few chinese characters. You are much better than me in a way that you know a 3rd language. I don't know Malay ;p

^^TeReNcE^^ said...

yup. my cousin had a hard time to motivate her daughter to write/speak chinese as english is their 1st language at home.

can try kids-chinese learning educational VCDs lor. cartoons and animations will certain generate more interest in chinese among children de :)

J@n!ce said...

Terrence : Yes, we have quite a lot of educational vcds for them to watch. They will usually watch for about 5 mins & walked away :)

Themuxicbox said...

speaking more definitely helps though you will need to be very careful not to mix in Singlish~

Anonymous said...

Good to learn chinese words..

WaterLearner said...

Good Move! I always think that knowing our own mother tongue is very important.

Par said...

I love to learn Mandarin too..hehe

J@n!ce said...

Jeslyn : Yes, I'm careful not to speak with "leh, lah, loh". Sometimes when we do accidentally say, Zac will correct us.... hehe ;p

J@n!ce said...

Keeyit : That's rite :)

J@n!ce said...

Kay : All the best to you :)

Anonymous said...

He looks like he really likes it! Look at that smile!

Nessa said...

My son takes Mandarin classes once a week provided by his school for free :) We're not Chinese but it's good to learn another language.

I think it's amazing to be able to read and understand Chinese characters coz they look so complicated!

J@n!ce said...

Angeline : He likes to receive lots of praise, its an encouragement to him to do better :)

J@n!ce said...

Nessa : That's good your son is learning another language. He can return home to teach you. hehe ;p

Jean Chia aka Ms.Yummy~licious said...

haha! i hv to know malay or else how am i gonna communicate here? hehe..

how hv u been lately? AGP is starting to miss you already. Very busy wt the boys? Well, u take care, ya! :)

Jean Chia

p/s: if you are interested in going green, please join me at AGP! See ya! ;)

J@n!ce said...

Jean : Sorry, been so busy lately....
Thanks for coming over. Will be over yours in a while :)

eastcoastlife said...

Yes, he has to start young or else he will have problems in secondary school. Too late for help then.

JK said...

Good move, Janice. Children learn very fast. I can see improvement in my eldest when we sent him to a Chinese primary school in January.

J@n!ce said...

ECL : The chinese syllabus is really tough nowdays. How's your son now?

J@n!ce said...

Jo-N : Thanks for the encouragement. All the best to your eldest !! :)

eastcoastlife said...

My son is fine, still has the pains when he presses against his tummy. He's back to school.

Mariuca said...

Hi Janice! When I was in Standard 3, my classmate taught me some Chinese. I even had a book and she gave me homework all ha ha...wish I had continued learning Chinese. It's great to be able to converse and write in other languages, hope Zac keeps up with is lessons.

J@n!ce said...

Marzie : Thanks. Zac still has much to learn. I bought those card words for him. He could recognize 36 of the characters from the stacks of abt 55. Its more than half now & I'm quite pleased :)

Heart of Rachel said...

That's great. Hope he continues to do well in school.

J@n!ce said...

Rachel : Thanks for your encouragement :)

Anonymous said...

hi janice, can't write a word except my name of (An Lin) good for Zac. please tell him >> ni hao ma? for me.

Anonymous said...

and oh by the way, environment is very important. even without formal learning in the classroom, if the language is often heard he can easily catch up especialy too that he is still a child. am sure he will do goo d at it, jan. :)

J@n!ce said...

Arlene : Thanks. I'm trying to expose him to more chinese speaking environment now :)

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape